This year you’ve probably canceled more appointments than ever before. You’re not alone in this, many have canceled appointments to help stop the spread of COVIID-19. We still recommend visiting your dentist during this time, but we decided to make a list of at-home tips to follow in the meantime!
6 At-Home Oral Care Tips
- Be sure that you are brushing twice a day. Forgetting to brush can have a large negative impact on your oral health. To take your brushing to the next level, try using a tongue scraper after you brush your teeth.
- Pair your brushing with flossing. Think of brushing without flossing as washing your hands but not scrubbing in between your fingers. Flossing removes bacteria and plaque that lives in between your teeth.
- Don’t forget about your fluoride! When you miss a dentist appointment you’re not just missing a professional cleaning, but also a fluoride treatment. Try buying fluoride infused toothpaste or mouth wash.
- Avoid brushing and flossing immediately after consuming acidic beverages. You’re probably going to want to run to your toothbrush after drinking an acidic beverage but this is the worst thing you can do! Acidic beverages are known to soften your enamel, and saliva can counteract this issue. If you brush your teeth you’re taking away the saliva.
- Stay away from sugary foods. This is good for your overall health, including your oral health. Bacteria feed off sugar and can create bad breath, tooth decay, and more! The more sugar you avoid, the best shape your teeth will be in!
- Look out for bleeding gums, lumps, and other problems that are out of the ordinary. Be sure to actively look for these problems and if you see any contact a professional.
Visit Your Dentist
You can only do so much for your dental health at home. Pair these tips with your six month dental visits for the healthiest smile. Woodmen Dental Group is currently accepting new patients, be sure to contact us today!