Setting some achievable goals for the new year is the perfect way to approach the upcoming year. We often make resolutions to improve our health. This usually includes our physical or mental health, but not always our oral health.
Having good dental hygiene is an important part of our health. Studies show that those who don’t show much attention to their oral health tend to suffer from conditions like diabetes, heart disease, dementia, and respiratory infections.
We came up with a do-able list of steps to sustain your health in the new year!
Resolutions for a Healthy Smile
- Start Flossing Daily. We know how tedious and repetitive flossing can be. But once you make a habit of this small step – you’re set. This step can remove excess food particles and prevent plaque build-up. Choosing to floss can extend the health of your teeth and serves as a precautionary measure for future illness.
- Drink More Water. Hydration is key to your mouth’s success. A lack of H20 can lead to further tooth decay and a decrease in saliva! Saliva rinses your teeth in between brushes. Everyone requires a different amount of water daily, but a general rule of thumb to follow is to divide your weight by 2 and drink that many ounces of water per day.
- Visit Your Dentist. It’s easy to fall out of the routine of seeing your dentist twice every year, but it’s actually important to receive a professional cleaning and regular x-rays! Cleanings will help prevent you from any future cavities or decay. Catching an oral health issue early on is much better than discovering you require an expensive and long dental service.
- Ditch the Tabacco. You’ve probably heard that smoking increases the risk of gum disease and mouth cancer – not to mention cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and chewing tobacco stains your teeth, and causes plaque buildup and halitosis.
- Brighten Your Smile. This might not affect your overall health, but we want you to feel confident when you smile. If you are struggling with discoloration and the over the counter whitening treatments aren’t cutting it, it may be time for a professional whitening treatment.
Your Dentist Knows Best
Improving your dental health this new year is a helpful and great resolution to have. A great place to start if you want to improve your dental health is by visiting the dentist for a professional cleaning. Woodmen Dental Group offers more than just general dentistry, including cosmetic dentistry, orthodontics, and emergency care. We are currently accepting new patients, so contact us today to make an appointment for the new year.